New duplexer installed

On Apr 2, 2017, at 3:27 PM, Jeremy Prine <kc7vcg@47repeater.com> wrote:

The trip up the hill went pretty well.  We installed the new duplexer and removed the old one. To see the new duplexer along with the old one click here to go to the update in pictures page.  We tested the old one to see how much signal it took to open the squelch on the repeater before removing it and took .5 microvolts.  After installing the new one did the same test and it took only .22 microvolts.  That’s a cut in half roughly of signal to open the squelch!  So I will be testing the old duplexer to see what happened if it got out of tune or damaged somehow.

We also tested the cat5 lines that are connected to the Hamwan in the building next to us.  They passed with flying colors to get our EchoLink node on the hill instead of relying on a RF link into town.

We measured for the remaining feedline jumpers from the polyphasers to the cabinets so they can be put together down here in spare time.

Looked at what needed to be done to get the APRS Digipeater back on the air and will be getting that projects logistics in line for a trip in the near future.

We will be doing some extensive antenna testing in the near future that will involve climbing the tower and testing feedlines, antennas, and jumpers individually.  When we look at the antennas with a antenna analyzer from the ground things just don’t look 100% and can’t determine why.

 

Thanks for everyone’s support and patience while we work threw our projects!

Jeremy Prine    KC7VCG

Board member of the Capitol Peak Repeater Group

A note about work being done on the hill

We will be doing some work on the hill Sunday April 2nd.  This will include installing a new duplexer on the main repeater, checking the internet connection for EchoLink, measuring for feed lines from the polyphasers to the cabinets and if time get the APRS digipeater hooked up and on the air.

While installing the new duplexer we will be on the backup repeater so you will notice a different courtesy tone, coverage might be slightly lower, and EchoLink will not be connected to the repeater.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

 

Jeremy Prine

KC7VCG

Board member of the Capitol Peak Repeater Group

Latest update 2-2-2017

So as some have probably heard I was able to make a trip up the hill Wednesday to install our backup repeater.  It has already help guide us in the correct direction in figuring out the receiver problem on the main repeater.  It seems that the duplexer filter system is not doing its job to its full potential.  this is probably because of the cabinet move and not being tested or adjusted for 20+ years.  We figured this out because the back up system is on its own duplexer and antenna system, we are able to change to the backup system when the problem is there.  We did that last night and the noise disappeared instantly when switched to the backup.
The plan of action is to retune the filters and see how far out of adjustment they really are.  If that doesn’t improve the problem we will borrow a different kind of duplexer and install it to see what the result is.  Finding this issue does not rule out that there is possibly a “rouge” station on the hill producing the interference and that no matter how good of filter system we have it will filter the interference out completely.  We are hoping to fix our issue and find the interference at the same time with out having to purchase a new filter system (very expensive).

Make sure you reserve the date!

annual2017repeater-meeting

annual2017repeater-meeting

Saturday 9/24 Hill trip

Well yesterday’s trip was kinda a bust.  Went up the hill with the intention of installing the cabinet fans but changed that to finishing the control receiver installation.  Ed made the trip up also and helped make the power cable for the receiver.  So after getting it all hooked up and the old one removed from its temporary spot we powered the new one up.  It immediately started flashing a “alarm” light that something was wrong with the receiver.  Noticed the COR light on the controller was on so figured the was configured incorrectly.  Grabbed the laptop and started looking for the Motorola programming cable but couldn’t find it, left it out of the laptop bag when I got a new one that holds both laptops a while ago. So I ended up reconnecting the temporary control receiver and calling it a day.  Chalk it up to a educational trip, can’t win them all.

We did make some new friends while we were up there though.  A gentleman came in the building while we were working and asked if we had some spare hardline jumpers.  Ironically David had donated two large storage totes of hardline jumpers.  Turns out he was with the 440 dmr repeater that is in the building next door in the same cabinet as Brett and Brian’s 440 repeater and hamwan.  So got to see how there system works and they really encouraged me to get a dmr radio and try it out.  They also complimented us on our repeater and its coverage sense they lived up by Seattle and have no problem getting into the repeater.

Looking to try and go up the hill next Saturday if things go good this week getting prepared for the new job.

 

Jeremy  KC7VCG