On Apr 19, 2017, at 9:00 PM, Jeremy Prine <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
I think most everyone knows what has been done on the hill lately but I wanted to give a update of what still needs to be done and some ideas to think about.
We all know there is major testing to do on the antenna system to do that will involve climbing the tower. David and myself talked about this today and we will probably be scheduling to do this in a month or so when weather hopefully becomes more predictable. Because of scheduling with Davids family and his wife’s business project we will probably do this work on a weekday as a “community service day”. We can do the testing side with just us two but more people would be nice. If a antenna or feed line needs repair or replacement it will be needed to have more people. We will try and give as much notice as possible so everyone knows and can get the day off to attend if they want to take part. There are still a few jumpers needed to be made that go between the polyphasers and the cabinets also.
I also have been learning more about some of the equipment I have access to from work so I will be doing more detailed analysis of the antenna systems so we have a better idea of what we need to do when we climb the tower. I will do this testing this weekend.
We also had a new Control receiver donated to us that is in the cabinet but not hooked up an functional yet. I will be tackling that this weekend. The current control receiver is a radio Bill let the group use in a pinch when we had the malicious interference a couple years ago, once removed it will be returned to Bill.
Although not a major thing but the weather radio is very old and was modified to give the necessary signal for the controller to activate when a alert is sent by NOAA. After a little research I have found a few manufacturers that make weather alert radios that have a “Signaling” circuit built into them and audio outputs that will work with the controllers for around $50. Another nice thing about the newer radios is when the alert is done the signal goes away so the controller does not have to be set to listen to the weather radio for a set amount of time that’s usually longer then the actual alert. Another small reason I suggest this upgrade is the audio quality will probably be better although after listening and watching the signal from NOAA’s radio station today on a spectrum analyzer it is way over modulating and is most of the crappy audio problem we hear.
There is a couple cables that interconnect different components in the cabinets that honestly just bug me (but work) that are the wrong length or superficially damaged that I don’t like. I will have to custom build these in time.
Something that is going to take time and patience is numbing or labeling all wires or cables. This will involve numbering, writing a description of the cable and circuit, fuse value if power wire, and if a audio-control cable the port of controller and pin-out of that cable. One of the reasons this project was proposed is to clean things up and make it easier to work on. After all the cables are labeled like this there will be a block diagram and simple schematic put together along with a control operator programming book that can be easily followed and modified as repairs and or upgrades are done in the future.
Like I said I will be going up this weekend on Saturday after breakfast and will do more detailed antenna testing and trying to get the control receiver switched over. If you want to join me or help let me know. it will probably be a all day trip about 3-5pm before coming down the hill.
Also the APRS and control receiver antennas are both “homemade” open stub jpoles. There is nothing wrong with these antennas but are not really designed for the conditions they endure on the peak. If anyone has ideas of what these could be replaced with and or antennas to donate might be something to put on the list down the road.
I’m getting to much gray hair! lol another thing is EchoLink. We have all the necessary components (Rigblaster that was acquired at the swap meet, internet at the cabinets and computer) to move the EchoLink up the hill. I need to configure the Rigblaster and bench test it and then move it up the hill. I did testing a couple weeks ago with internet on the hill and there is no need to do any firewall or port forwarding within the Hamwan system. That was a big relief. I will try and do this move in a couple weeks.
Jeremy Prine KC7VCG
Board member of the Capitol Peak Repeater Group